- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 4 1/2 cups water
- 3 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 leek, bulb only, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 1/2 habanero peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) bag fresh spinach
- 1 bunch watercress, trimmed and chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt and pepper to taste
- extra virgin olive oil
- red wine or balsamic vinegar
Cook onion and garlic in butter over medium high heat until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add chicken stock, water, carrots, leeks, green onions, habanero peppers, spinach, and watercress. Bring to a low boil, and cook for 30 minutes, or until carrots are soft. Remove from heat, and allow to cool for 30 minutes.
Puree in a blender or food processor until smooth. Return to the pot, and simmer on low heat for 15 minutes before serving. Serve with a drizzle of olive oil or vinegar, or both, if desired.