- 6 red bell peppers, seeded and cut into quarters
- 1 (32 ounce) carton chicken broth
- 1 large potato, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 quart half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 pound cooked crabmeat, flaked
Set the oven to broil, and preheat for 5 minutes.
Place the red bell pepper quarters skin-side up on a broiler pan or baking sheet. Broil until the skins have blackened, then place them in a brown paper bag, or in a covered bowl and allow them to steam for approximately 10 minutes to loosen the skins.
Once the skins have loosened, peel them off and discard. Coarsely chop the peeled, roasted peppers, and place into a large saucepan along with the chicken broth and chopped potato. Bring to a boil over high heat, then add the half-and-half, salt, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, and basil. Return to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer for 45 minutes.
Once the potatoes have softened, puree the soup in batches in a blender until smooth. Pour the pureed soup into another saucepan and stir in the crab. Heat over medium heat to warm through, about 5 minutes.