- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 (14 ounce) cans low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes with jalapeno peppers, undrained
- 1/2 cup long-grain brown or white rice
- 1 cup water
- 4 (6 inch) flour tortillas, cut in 1/4-inch strips
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups pre-cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can zucchini with Italian-style tomato sauce
- 1 (11 ounce) can corn kernels, drained
- 1 (8.25 ounce) can sliced carrots, drained
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in large, heavy saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion, celery and garlic, and cook and stir for 5 minutes until tender. Stir in the broth, tomatoes, rice and water, and increase the heat to medium high. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until rice is tender.
Meanwhile, toss the tortilla strips with remaining 1 teaspoon oil on a baking sheet. Spread the tortillas out on the sheet, and bake for about 6 minutes, stirring twice, until light, golden and crisp.
Add the chicken, zucchini, corn and carrots to the soup. Cook, uncovered for about 10 minutes, until heated through. Stir in the lime juice, and remove from heat. Ladle the soup into bowls, and sprinkle tortilla strips over the top.