- 3 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, cubed and softened
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can beer (optional)
- Optional toppings: croutons, popcorn, cooked crumbled bacon, sliced green onions
In a slow cooker, combine the first eight ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours.
Combine flour and water until smooth; stir into soup. Cover and cook on high 30 minutes longer or until soup is thickened.
Stir in cream cheese and cheddar cheese until blended. Stir in beer if desired. Cover and cook on low until heated through. Serve with desired toppings.