- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 (10 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with green chile peppers
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can white hominy, drained
- 1 (1.25 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 1 (1 ounce) package ranch dressing mix
- 1/4 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (optional)
- 1/4 cup sour cream (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups water
In a Dutch oven, brown ground beef or turkey with chopped onion, stirring frequently. Once beef is browned drain grease from pan.
Add canned tomatoes, kidney beans, hominy, taco seasoning and ranch salad dressing mix. Mix well and let simmer over low heat for two hours. (Add 1 to 2 cups of water if necessary to make soup the desired consistency)
Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with shredded Cheddar cheese and a dollop of sour cream, if desired.