- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (1 inch) piece galangal
- 2 stalks lemon grass, bruised and chopped
- 5 kaffir lime leaves, torn
- 1/2 teaspoon Thai red curry paste
- 1 (12 ounce) package extra firm tofu, drained and cubed
- 1/2 cup stemmed and sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1/2 cup sliced button mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 4 ounces dry rice stick noodles
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Bring coconut milk, broth, galangal, lemon grass, and kaffir leaves to a simmer in a large pot over medium heat. Simmer for 15 minutes, but do not allow broth to come to a full boil.
Strain the broth and discard the solids. Whisk in red curry paste, then add tofu, shiitake mushrooms, button mushrooms, lime juice, brown sugar, and turmeric to the soup. Continue simmering until mushrooms have softened, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add rice stick noodles, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes until tender; drain. Place drained noodles into individual bowls, then ladle soup over the noodles. Garnish with crushed red pepper flakes.