- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 bunch cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 eggs
- 6 cups water
- 2 pounds Chinese winter melon (dong gua), cut into 1 inch cubes
- 3 slices fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
Sprinkle pork with cornstarch, cilantro, soy sauce, sugar, garlic, and ginger. Mix eggs into pork until completely incorporated and the mixture becomes sticky.
Combine water, winter melon, ginger, salt, and sugar in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium, and simmer for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, form 1 teaspoon-sized meatballs out of the pork mixture. Gently drop meatballs into simmering soup; simmer 8 to 10 minutes more until meatballs have cooked.