- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (48 fluid ounce) can chicken broth
- 3 medium red potatoes, diced
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 (6 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat, and mix in the olive oil. Saute the onion, carrot, and celery for about 5 minutes, until onion is lightly browned. Stir in the garlic, and continue to cook 1 minute. Mix in the flour. Whisk in the chicken broth, and bring to a boil. Place the potatoes in the pot, reduce heat to low, and cook 15 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
Mix the half-and-half into the pot. Stir in the roasted red peppers. Season with thyme, salt, and pepper. Continue cooking until heated through.