- 1 pound beef for stew, cut into 1-inch cubes
- Ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 12 small red potatoes, cut into quarters
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoons instant coffee crystals
- 4 cups Swanson?(r) Beef Broth
- Sour cream (optional)
- Chopped green onion (optional)
Season the beef with black pepper and coat with flour. Heat the oil in a skillet. Add the beef and cook until browned.
Place the onions, potatoes, carrots, garlic and thyme in a 3 1/2-quart slow cooker. Top with the beef. Mix the tomato paste, coffee and 1 cup broth. Pour the coffee mixture and the remaining broth into the slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW 8 to 10 hours.* or until done. Serve with the sour cream and chopped green onions, if desired.