A slow cooker makes this the easiest recipe ever!
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless lean beef, cubed
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 3 (10.5 ounce) cans beef broth
- 6 cups water
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 6 carrots, chopped
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup barley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
In a skillet over medium heat, saute the beef in the oil for 5 minutes, or until browned. Stir in the salt, pepper and garlic powder and place seasoned meat in a slow cooker. Add a little water to the skillet and stir to pick up the browned bits. Add to the slow cooker.
Add the broth, water, celery, carrots, green onions, parsley and barley. Cover and cook on low setting for 6 to 8 hours, or until the vegetables and barley are tender. Add the thyme just before serving.