- 2 pounds dried pinto beans, washed
- 1 pound bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup diced onion
- 6 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced
- 3 carrots, minced
- 1 gallon chicken stock
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
Place the pinto beans into a large container and cover with several inches of cool water; let stand 4 hours. Drain and rinse.
Place the bacon in a large stock pot and cook and stir over medium-high heat until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Add the onion, jalapeno peppers, and carrots; cook and stir until the carrots are soft. Pour in the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Stir in the drained beans, tomato sauce, garlic powder, cilantro, salt, and pepper; simmer until the beans are tender, 3 to 4 hours.