- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 tablespoons paprika
- 2 1/2 cups ketchup
- 8 cups water
- 1 (1 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound linguica, casings removed
- 1 pound chourico – Portuguese smoked pork sausage
- 5 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans
- 3 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 pound spaghetti
In a large pot over medium heat, combine the oil and the onion. Saute for 5 minutes, or until onion is tender. Add the paprika, ketchup, water, soup mix, salt and pepper and stir well. Cut the linguica and chourico into 3 inch pieces and add to the soup.
In a food processor or blender, puree the beans in small batches and add to the pot. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 to 3 hours. Add the potatoes and simmer for another hour. Break the spaghetti into 3 to 4 inch pieces, add to the pot and simmer for another 15 minutes, or until spaghetti is tender.