- 2 medium onions
- 4 whole cloves
- 4 cups water
- 2 (10.5 ounce) cans condensed chicken broth, undiluted
- 3 medium leeks (white portion only), sliced
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 medium head cauliflower, broken into florets and sliced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1/2 pound sliced Swiss cheese, cut into 4 inch x 1/2 inch strips
Quarter one onion; stuff the cloves into he second onion. In a large saucepan, combine water and broth; add onions, leeks, carrots and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add cauliflower; simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove from the heat.
In a bowl, combine cornstarch and cream until smooth. Stir in egg yolks. Stir in a small amount of hot soup into cream mixture; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Discard the whole onion.
Ladle soup into individual ramekins. Top with cheese strips. Broil 4-6 in. from the heat for 3-5 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. Serve immediately.