- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 (4 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped (tops included)
- 1 package frozen wontons
- 1 (5 ounce) bag fresh baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- salt to taste
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
Pour the chicken and beef broths into a large saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Add the water chestnuts, green onions, and frozen wontons and cook until the wontons are cooked through and floating, 2 to 3 minutes.
Remove from the heat and stir in the fresh spinach. Cover the soup and let the spinach steam and soften in the hot soup for 2 minutes.
Season with Chinese five spice, salt, and cayenne pepper.