This savory soup has a lot of substance, especially for the men in the family. You can enjoy brimming bowls all winter long!
- 3/4 pound sliced bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 8 potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 5 cups water
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 4 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
In a large skillet, cook bacon and onion; drain and set aside. In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, cook the potatoes and carrot in water for 20 minutes or until tender (do not drain). Stir in the remaining ingredients and the bacon mixture. Cook for 10 minutes or until heated through.