- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1 leek, sliced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 parsnip, scrubbed and diced
- 1 potato, peeled and diced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 cup dry lentils, rinsed
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 dash soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
Heat the oil in a large saucepan and mix in the onions, carrot, parsnip, celery, potato, and leek. Stir over a medium heat.
Place lentils, tomatoes, stock, bay leaves, a splash of the soy and Worcestershire sauces and wine in the saucepan. Stir and bring the mixture to a boil. Cover and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes, or until the lentils are cooked.
Remove the bay leaves from the soup. Stir in the cilantro and serve.